Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Trying to Vacation

My dh frustrates the living SHIT out of me!

Let me preface this by saying that I am an insufferable lunatic before leaving on vacation. It is because I actually want to leave the house and GET to my vacation. I pack the night before, I have suitcases by the door, I would load the car, but dh would unload it and repack it to his mysterious anal retentive specifications so I don't bother with that anymore. Why do more work, right? He also won't trust that I have checked and locked all windows - he has to look behind me.

So when dh is still sleeping when I want to leave, I get nutty. I get cranky. I get mean. All pent up anger and frustration and any grudges I may be harboring, those emotions are going to explode out on my Paddy-O on the day we are leaving on vacation.

I recognize this. I have been trying to grow as a person. I have been scheduling departure times for later in the day to give him space to wake up and help. I have been saying little mantras to myself to try and stay centered and focused on the fun we are going to have not the absolute hell that is leaving.

So we are supposed to be going to the mountains today. I set a departure time for 10. In my mind that is 11, just to make him move along, and me not crazy when we aren't out of the house by 10. Widget woke up looking for his paci at 3:20. DH was right there trying to get him back in bed. It didn't work. I took over. At 4, dh is still not in bed. I go downstairs to see what the problem is. It seems that the cd-rom on his computer is malfunctioning and he has to fix it. So he can burn new cd's. For our trip.

I go back to bed. I stew until 4:30. Then I go downstairs and explode a little. Because I am not going to be able to drive 4.5 hours on 5 hours of sleep. And he can't do it on the 3 hours he is going to get if I get him out of bed at 8. And that is if he is asleep by 5 am. I wonder why the music we have is not sufficient for our trip. I say that it is a nice idea to have new mixed cd's for traveling but is it truly worth an all-nighter before we leave on vacation? Is it truly worth freaking your wife out to the point that she is about to have a massive stroke and either die or spend the rest of her life in a nursing home where you will bring the children you are raising by yourself to see her drooling, slack, bedsore ridden body? Is it? Are a few new mixed CD's really worth all that?

Because I am brow-bulging irate at this point, sleeping is pretty much out of the question. I think I fell back to sleep about 15 minutes before my cherubic children woke up at 6:15.

"Oh what a beautiful morning, oh what a beautiful day. I've got a beautiful feeling, everything's going my way!"

1 comment:

Misty said...

Don't forget "urine-soaked." You know, slack, drooling, bedsore ridden, urine-soaked body.

I hope your trip goes better than the leaving part!