Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Pulp

Pulp Fiction is one of my favorite movies. I love the timing of it, the back and forth from future to past to present so that you aren't really certain where you are in the story until the end. The acting is incredible as well.

So I own a copy, of course, and there are deleted scenes on the end, of course. I think this one is a little gem and love the questions that Mia asks of Vincent... Oh, and if you want to skip the completely spastic Quentin Tarantino intro - the actual clip starts at minute 2:40




Are you a Beatles person or an Elvis person?

This was a hard one for me. Since I live in the south, there is this mythic quality to Elvis that speaks to me. I had a velvet Elvis in college on my wall that I got on one of those crazy road trips bought for $25 on the side of the road. He had a tear that sparkled on his cheek. I have been known to eat a peanut butter and banana sandwich. But the music? Not so much.

So really, I am a Beatles person. I love the Beatles. All of it - the cheesy early stuff. The psychedelic stuff from the middle and the incredible lyrics, sad and beautiful. I sing Blackbird and I Will to my kids as lullabies. And it causes me pain that John Lennon was killed. He was a true gift. Elvis killed himself. Totally different. He was on his way to being a Vegas lounge singer, John Lennon would have continued to break the rules and write amazing songs.

Brady Bunch or the Partridge Family?

Definitely the Partridge Family. BB was always so goody goody and unrealistic. Not that the PF was really more realistic, but it was a teeny bit grittier. Plus that love is a rollercoaster song ROCKED the house for me. The few musical things the BB did just sucked balls.

On Rich Man, Poor Man who did you like better Peter Strauss or Nick Nolte?

Always gonna be a Nick Nolte girl here...

What is your favorite way to say "Thanks" in a foreign language?

Danke Schoen - preferably singing it a la Brenda Lee (remember that scene in Ferris Bueller's Day off?) "Danke Schoen, darling danke schoen - Thank you for all the joy and pain..." Fabulous song. Full of the dichotomies in life.

In conversations, are you waiting to talk or really listening?

I like VV's answer here - but I must clarify by saying I am a great listener. When someone is really upset or needs to talk, I listen very carefully and only comment when needed. In casual conversation I admit to be waiting to talk sometimes more that listening and if you are boring me, I am waiting to change the subject or find an excuse to get away.

In the Archies, who would you fuck first, Betty or Veronica?

If I was into the ladies, it would have to be Veronica.

So how about you? Which way do you go?

1 comment:

Misty said...

I love Elvis AND the Beatles. Definitely, the Partridge family simply because David Cassidy was hot. Nick Nolte creeps me out, and I don't know of Betty or Veronica! :-)